f/t, p/t, & on-call positions available
The Residential Counselor’s goal is to provide consumers with serious and persistent mental illness a higher quality of life in a safe and therapeutic environment. The Residential Counselor will be expected to work with a diverse population and must be sensitive to the culture, religion, language, age, gender, and sexual orientation of the population served.
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plans to assist consumers to develop the skills needed to successfully live and work more independently in the community.
- Precisely monitors and documents consumer medications during each shift and takes action to encourage reluctant consumers to comply with medication regimens. Educates consumers regarding the role and use of medications.
- Develops therapeutic and effective working relationships with consumers, while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Spends a majority of time in the house milieu, motivating, teaching and assisting consumers in self-care, practical living, leisure, and interpersonal skills, as appropriate.
- Plans for and addresses consumers’ health care needs and substance abuse issues.
- Effectively intervenes in consumer crisis, including consulting with agency staff, lead agency Crisis Services staff, and Designated Mental Health Professionals regarding potentially dangerous or problematic situations.
- Encourages and assists consumers to engage in work or other meaningful activities.
- Assumes a specialized responsibility role for eliciting and coordinating consumer success in some function of the running of the cooperative household, e.g. upkeep of certain rooms, management of a portion of the household budget, operation of the self-governance group, providing classes or groups.
- Ensures that consumers meet their appointments outside TRY House, accompanying consumers to these appointments and to access other resources when indicated.
- Carries an assigned caseload, including maintaining responsibility for high quality, professional records of consumer progress completed and other necessary correspondence in a timely manner.
- Ensures transfer planning coordinated with the array of services offered by Navos and access to supervised and supported living options in King County BHO.
- Based on individual strengths, assumes responsibility for coordinating treatment team efforts, e.g. in verifying record keeping, billing, or planning.
RELATIONSHIP WITH COMMUNITY AND CO-WORKERS
- Contributes to cooperative working relationships with clinical teammates and with supervisors.
- Solicits and provides case consultation and coordination as needed.
- Presents a positive professional image of the agency to referral sources and other service providers and community resources needed by agency consumers.
BA in Human Services plus treatment experience working with individuals with serious and persistent mental illness. Other residential or social service experience may substitute. The position requires state agency affiliated counselor registration, first aid/CPR training, HIV related training, 2-step TB test, criminal background and fingerprint ID, valid driver’s license, an acceptable driving record in order to drive Agency vehicles.
Two years’ treatment experience working with individuals with serious and persistent mental illness.
$17.35 to $21.93 per hour, DOQ. Non-exempt position.
Benefits include (full & part-time positions only): 22 paid leave days and 9 paid holidays (both pro-rated per fte) per year, employer paid medical, dental, and long-term disability insurance; voluntary participation in one of the Agency sponsored 403(b) retirement plans, AFLAC cafeteria and FSA plans.
Full-Time, Part-Time, and On-Call positions available.
Full and part-time counseling staff are expected to participate in the agency’s on-call system. The on-call system’s hours require being available by phone to be called in immediately and are reimbursed at a rate of four hours on-call equaling one hour on-site. All counseling staff are encouraged to be flexible in providing coverage for overnight, weekend, or holiday shifts when needed.
Send cover letter and resume to Julie Watkins, Clinical Director, at email@example.com.